HealthNews

UK woman loses leg to deadly blood infection after dip in hot tub

 UK woman loses leg to deadly blood infection after dip in hot tub

UK woman loses leg to deadly blood infection after dip in hot tub

A young British woman’s evening dip in a hot tub with friends turned into a nightmare that resulted in a leg amputation after she developed meningitis, according to a report.

Lauren Briggs, 25, woke up at her friend’s house in Essex unable to breathe in January and was rushed to a hospital, where she was diagnosed with meningococcal septicemia, a life-threatening blood infection, the Sun reported.

Doctors managed to save her life but were forced to amputate her right leg below the knee and her toes on the left leg, according to the report.

“Hot tubs are filled with bacteria so it’s likely that could have been the cause,” Briggs said.

“I went to sleep that night feeling a bit nauseous but my friend found me in the early hours of the next morning gasping for breath on the floor,” she said. “The next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital wondering what was going on.”

In order to save her life, Lauren Briggs said her leg needed to be amputated.

Briggs said she was placed on life support for 48 hours.

“In the end, they couldn’t save my right leg or toes and they had to be amputated to save my life,” said the young women, who had to undergo multiple skin grafts from her thigh to rebuild her feet.

Lauren Briggs says she was placed on life support for 48 hours.

Briggs’ mother, Tracey, 58, said she couldn’t recognize her daughter when she arrived at the hospital because she was so swollen and discolored.

“I thought they had taken me to the wrong window. When I saw her, I fell to the floor and begged God to save her and not to let her go,” Tracey said.

Due to her condition, Lauren Briggs now suffers from a speech impairment, leaving her unable to do her job.

“She’s my only child, she’s my baby and doctors told me it was unlikely she would survive longer than 48 hours,” the mother continued.

“They would regularly take Lauren down to theater to clean the feet up and check everything and on this one particular day, she was in there all day and I knew something must have been happening,” she said.

Lauren Briggs woke up at her friend's house unable to breathe in January, after spending the evening having fun with her friends in a hot tub.

When I found out about the amputations, I dropped down on the floor again because I knew how this would impact her quality of life,” Tracey added.

Lauren, who was discharged April 30, worked as a receptionist at a surgical office but won’t be able to continue working due to her condition, which includes a speech impairment.

Lauren Briggs’ mother, Tracey said she didn't recognize her daughter at the hospital because she was so swollen and discolored.

“I had no idea about the amputations because I felt like I still had both my feet. I lifted the covers up and saw and was devastated,” she said.

“I was always on the go before this, hardly ever sitting down and now I have to rely on people to do anything,” Lauren said.

Doctors suspect that the hot tub party caused Lauren to contract meningitis.

“It feels like I’m trapped inside my own body and I just want to get out. It has affected my mental health drastically; my life has been turned upside down,” she added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button