Protester who ‘stepped in front of Boris Johnson’s car causing crash’ faces trial

A protester accused of trying to step in front of Boris Johnson’s Jaguar and causing the car behind to crash into it is set to stand trial.

Diyari Kurdi, 59, denied one count of wilful obstruction of a highway at Westminster Magistrates’ Court today.

The court heard Kurdi was part of a “small group of Kurdish protesters” who were demonstrating opposite Parliament’s carriage gates on June 17.

As Mr Johnson’s car left Parliament after Prime Minister’s Questions, Kurdi is accused of stepping in front of the car and causing a collision.

Prosecutor David Roberts told magistrates the police commissioner had given officers permission to use force to clear the carriageway if members of the public were going to interfere with the Prime Minister’s convoy.

Mr Kurdi is accused of causing the car behind the Prime Minister’s vehicle to crash into it

He said: “It was a small group of Kurdish protesters, about 30 of them. At approximately five minutes past two, officers started to get into position.

“At this stage the small group of Kurdish demonstrators were opposite Parliament Square at the carriage gates.

“At seven minutes past two, it was broadcast on officers’ radios that the Prime Minister was about to leave.

“They blocked members of the public from using any crossings in the area. The Prime Minister’s convoy started to leave the gate and as that happened the defendant stepped into the road and started walking into the convoy.

Mr Kurdi leaving Westminster Magistrate’s Court today

“The Prime Minister’s vehicle stopped. Mr Kurdi was clipped by a police motorcycle. The vehicle behind hit the back of the Prime Minister’s vehicle. Officers managed to detain the defendant to the floor.”

Chair of the bench Jessica Marshall said: “You have pleaded not guilty to this charge which is your right.

“There needs to be a trial – that can’t happen today. That’s going to happen next year in March.”

Kurdi, of Muswell Hill, north London, was given unconditional bail and will next appear for his trial at Hendon Magistrates’ Court on March 18.


Source: All Football

Be the first to comment

Drop Your Comment Here