5 Health Problems That Can Be Prevented By Drinking a Lot Of Water
There is a popular Igbo saying which says, “miri wu ndu” which translates to, “water is life” in English. According to Medicalnewstoday, the body of an adult contains 60% of water, our blood is 90% water and water is very essential for all bodily functions.
Water helps to heal or, reduce the effects of many health problems like; stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes etc. Water also helps to, prevent some health problems which have the potential of becoming deadly.
Although, there is no universally accepted quantity of water a person should take daily, it is advisable to drink at least, 1 and half litre of water daily and not to wait until you are thirsty to drink water.
Here Are Five (5) Health Problems Drinking A Lot Of Water Can Prevent
1. Kidney Stones: people who do not drink enough water are likely to develop kidney stones at some point in their lives.
Not drinking sufficient water is the most common cause of kidney stones because, when the body lacks water it will not be able to dissolve the substance that causes kidney stones.
2. Heart Burn And Stomach Ulcer: heart burns and stomach ulcers are usually caused by high acid levels in the stomach. This means that, when the stomach is overly acidic, it can cause heart burn and stomach ulcer.
But, when a person drinks a lot of water, the water flushes out most of the acids in the stomach thereby, reducing the stomach acidity levels and preventing heart burns and stomach ulcers
3. Constipation: constipation is common and occurs when a person’s stool becomes, very strong which makes bowel movements difficult, and discomforting.
While constipation itself might not be a medical condition, prolonged constipation is definitely, a health problem and having constant constipation can lead to a serious medical condition called, heamorrhoids popularly known as, piles.
4. Urinary Tract Infections: the urinary tract is made of of several organs like the bladder, ureter, kidney and urethra. Urine is filtered which means, it is not meant to contain any bacteria. The presence of bacteria in the urine leads to urinary tract infection.
However, drinking sufficient water can help prevent urinary tract infection because, when there is sufficient water in the body, the body will be able flush out bacteria.
5. Dehydration: dehydration occurs when the body is lacking sufficient water. It is best to drink water before you feel thirsty because, thirst is a sign of dehydration.
As stated earlier, the body needs water to function which means that, when the body lacks water it will no longer be able to function and our organs will begin to develop complications.
Dehydration can cause temporary or permanent brain damage, dizziness which could lead to accidents, heatstroke etc.